It is reported that sometime before 2012 Prince William has reached a secret settlement with Rupert Murdoch’s media company The Sun over phone hacking claims. File photo by UK Ministry of Defence/UPI | License photo
April 25 (UPI) — New U.K. court filings allege that a Rupert Murdoch-owned Prince William newspaper was secretly paid a large sum of money to settle a phone hacking lawsuit.
Prince William received a payment in 2020 after he sued The Sun and News Group Newspapers, according to The Guardian. The new detail was revealed by William’s brother, Prince Harry, who also sued the News Group.
In a witness statement on Tuesday, Harry said that sometime before 2012 there was a collusion between the royal family and “senior executives” at Murdoch’s company. The deal will mean legal action against the company will be put on hold in exchange for an apology.
However, Harry said the News Group did not live up to its end of the bargain when in 2017 asked for an apology. He claimed the company hacked into his voicemails and illegally obtained his personal information.
According to The Guardian, a spokesperson for the company said that “The Sun does not accept responsibility or admit the allegations”, and stressed that many of Harry’s claims were made 20 years ago.
Harry is seeking more than $200,000 in damages and is scheduled to go to trial in January.
The Guardian reported that lawyers for the royal family told the court that News UK had engaged in “years of deliberate cover-ups, destruction of evidence, cover-ups at the highest level and false denials even under oath”.
“The intrusion into his private conversations and relationships has caused concern because his privacy has been constantly compromised and his security has been put at risk,” Harry’s lawyers said.
Murdoch’s Fox Corp. Last week it reached 787.5 million. USD settlement with Dominion Voting Systems over false statements related to 2020 election US presidential election.